Schedule for Holy Week

The following is the Holy Week schedule for the parishes of Holy Rosary and Visitation in Tacoma, Washington. It’s less jam-packed than previous years, but there’s still a lot here! Wednesday Tenebræ is not to be missed. And of course, the Holy Triduum is essentially one giant liturgy (with some serious overnight breaks) that begins with the Introit of the […]

» Read more

The Dedication of an Altar

The Dedication of an Altar is a rare ritual in the church. Normally, it takes place within the larger dedication of a church or chapel. However, this coming week, Bishop Daniel Mueggenborg will be dedicating a new altar at one of our local Tacoma parishes. The altar in question was originally commissioned by the parish of Saint Joseph and its […]

» Read more

Rorate Cæli

This past Saturday, our parish of Holy Rosary celebrated a Votive Mass of the Blessed Virgin Mary. This particular tradition is known as the Rorate Mass, for the first word of its entrance antiphon (Introit): Roráte cæli désuper, et núbes plúant jústum. Aperiatur terra et germinet salvatorem. Drop down dew, ye heavens, from above, and let the clouds rain the […]

» Read more

Whortleberry Twigs

Saint Lucy was a Sicilian martyr. She was a wealthy young lady of Greek extraction brought up by Christian parents. She was killed during the horrific persecutions of the Emperor Diocletian in about 304. The facts surrounding her martyrdom have accreted so many legends that it’s difficult to be sure exactly what happened. She was venerated far and wide almost […]

» Read more

In Praise of Altar Servers

Last Thursday, we celebrated a funeral in our parish of Holy Rosary. Nothing unusual in that. The one constant of life is the inevitability of death. This particular funeral was that of a priest, Rev. Dominic Hahn. He was born in 1937, was baptized and grew up in our parish, graduated from our parish school, became a Benedictine monk, and […]

» Read more

The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Who is she that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terrible as an army set in array? (Benedictus antiphon, Monastic Office of Lauds for the Assumption) Today’s great Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, which in the East is known as the Dormition of the Theotokos, is one that […]

» Read more

Fátima in Tacoma

This past Saturday (July 22), our parish of Holy Rosary was host to the International Pilgrim Virgin Statue of Our Lady of Fátima. This statue has been on the road worldwide since 1947. The statue is in the middle of a two-year journey across America to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the apparitions at Fátima. It was sculpted according to […]

» Read more

Changes 2017: Farewell to Father Wichert

This morning, the Solemnity of Saints Peter and Paul, Father Nicholas Wichert celebrated his last Mass at Holy Rosary as its thirteenth pastor. The Mass was celebrated for the fathers of our parish on the Saint Joseph altar. I served at the Mass, and I was able to make good on a promise I made to one of our young […]

» Read more

God in the Streets of Tacoma

Depending on what calendar you use (Ordinary Form or Extraordinary Form), and whether or not it is a Holy Day of Obligation in your diocese, today(or last Thursday) is (or was) the Solemnity of the Body and Blood of Christ (Corpus Christi). Happy Corpus Christi! Whereas Holy Thursday is a celebration of the institution of the Eucharist, Corpus Christi is […]

» Read more

Corpus Christi

This coming Sunday my parish will participate in an outdoor Procession of the Blessed Sacrament following the Noon Mass. This will be the fifth year we’ve taken Jesus through the streets of Tacoma and amongst His people. In addition, all weekend Masses will be celebrated at the High Altar, Ad Orientem. If you are anywhere in the area, I hope […]

» Read more

Custom and Tradition

Yesterday at my parish of Holy Rosary, we celebrated a votive Mass on the Marian altar. This was more or less our Mother’s Day Mass. We have been doing this for a couple of years now, and last year we added a Father’s Day Mass in June at the Saint Joseph altar. This is a laudable custom, and I hope […]

» Read more

Ch-ch-ch-changes (2017 Edition)

Years ago, I wrote a post titled “Hopes and Prayers for a new Pastor“. If the stats are to be believed, this is one of the most consistently popular posts on this blog. I wrote then: Being a pastor is one of the most difficult jobs in the world, I think. The responsibility of shepherding souls must be a great […]

» Read more
1 3 4 5 6 7 9